26 november 2008

Brain exercises are 'waste of time'

Professor says that nobody should be fooled by 'dangerous' myths about boosting creativity
Article

Summary

Sergio Della Sala is the professor of Human Cognitive Neuroscience at the University of Edinburgh and says that there are a lot of myths in the world to boost the performance of your brain. He researched the brain already over more than 20 years. In December this year he wants to expose many of these myths at the university’s inaugural Christmas Lecture. One of the myths says when you drink water it increases the oxygen supply to your brain. Della Sala said that this luckily is a myth; if it was true then you will probably die. Another thing he said is that it is not true that we humans only use 10 per cent of our brain.

My opinion

This article was really interesting for me, of course I know that some myths cannot be true but other things surprised me, because I really thought that we only use 10 per cent of our brains. That is why I think that it is good that he give a speech about this matter, to convince the rest of the world that the most myths are not true. He is very convincing to me so I think that he has a very good point. It is not surprising that he won an award for his research.

1 opmerking:

ukokjoostthijssen zei

Hey, yeah well i have also heard about the fact or myth that we do only use ten percent of our brain, and it can be true. The thing is that we do use almost all parts of our brain, just not all of them at the same time. There are many activities that we do and where we do only use ten percent of our brain. Mainly the easy things we do, like watching television I guess.